Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Grow, grow, grow

Today I'd like to show you something interesting.















Guess what! Can you tell what this is?
Just say it.

















The answer is... a cabbage stalk!


In late April, I bought a cabbage and used some.
However, in May as I told you in my last publishing, I caught a cold and couldn't cook very often.
I just left the cabbage in the refridge for weeks.


After recovering from the cold, I pulled the cabbage out of the refridge, to find that, it's grown a shoot!


I used all the rest of the leaves in several days, and put the shoot in a glass of water with an attempt to grow it.













the shoot that was just removed all of the leaves



About ten days passed. It was yesterday, and I happened to take a glance at the shoot.
What I found was, oh my gosh, a stalk has grown from the shoot!













And it's blooming. Wow.

It was the first time I saw a cabbage shoot, let alone its stalk.
A new discovery. I didn't know cabbage flowers are such pretty.


Have you ever found the unusual appearance of some familiar vegetables?

6 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 04:28:00 PM, Blogger AK(st) said...

Wow! Sounds like an funny experiment you've done!;)
Your whole blog is very interesting to read! I've never been to Japan though... but I like how you write about normal-days-life over there! Great job!

 
At 5/31/2006 05:20:00 PM, Blogger asta said...

Dear AK(st):
Thank you for your warm message, and I'm also glad you enjoyed reading my blog... you are the first tangible reader of it :)
Yes, it's turned to be an exciting experiment. Now what am I gonna do with this little cabbage...?!

 
At 6/01/2006 04:45:00 PM, Blogger AK(st) said...

Wouldn't it be possible to actually grow this cabbage? Put it in some soil? Maybe to get another own cabbage or only for a longer enjoyment of the beautiful florescence?
Love from - right now very coldish - Switzerland;)

 
At 6/01/2006 06:05:00 PM, Blogger asta said...

Right. Actually I'm beggining to feel I cannot throw this cabbie away now... gonna maybe prepare a pot of soil :) but for the time being, I think I'm going to keep it this way to observe it.
In a week or so, I guess Japan will experience its rainy season of this year. Can you imagine how muggy it is? The humidity can get incredibly high, seventy, eighty. Just rains and rains. Never be possible in Switzerland, right?

 
At 6/02/2006 06:16:00 AM, Blogger AK(st) said...

Right now it's raining cats and dogs in Switzerland - and it's been doing so for days! It's very unusual and unfortunately it's also very coldish which is unusualy for late May/early June as well! Right now the temperatures are around 10 degrees Celcius (where I live) and the relative humidity is around 90 percent.

 
At 6/02/2006 12:23:00 PM, Blogger asta said...

Oh it's too bad. Japanese in general have an image of Switzerland as a land of fine days with deep blue sky, shiny white Alps, and vivid evergreen conifer. So it's interesting to hear that :)
Japan's rainy season is an annual one. It lasts from early June to late July. High humidity, and maybe unlike your country the temperature is about 26C or more (at my city): when you visit Japan at this time of the year, you might feel like you're in a sauna!
Have a nice weekend ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home